Friday 2 March 2012

Over The Hill And Far Away


I while back, I went to another one of those "classic albums live" shows. This one was Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin.

They did a good job and it was more fun - which is to say less morbid - than the last time I went. I don't know if this is a case of conditioning through repetition or what.

Anyway, my main memory isn't the music. It was the audience, which was a bunch of people my age, more guys than women, all looking very safe and normal.

I could have been at a meeting to discuss the teacher's pension fund, or volunteering opportunities for the newly retired. I kept looking around me, thinking that, when I first became a Led Zeppelin fan, I never would have believed that anyone who looked like us could in any way ever listen to this music. Ever.

And then this thought came to me: despite all of our best intentions, sooner or later we all become respectable.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment