Friday 16 March 2012

Songs For My Generation


I can't get away from these lists. I'm trying. Honest.

Here's the Rolling Stones Top 10 Songs Of The Sixties list:

1) Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone. Of course.
2) Beatles - A Day In The Life. Interesting choice, but iconic, certainly. Trippy. Progressive.
3) Stones - Satisfaction. Would have expected top 3 for sure.
4) Stones - Gimme Shelter. For me it resonates more. Talks more to the turbulent times.
5) The Who - My Generation. You do expect it, but I really don't remember it being big back then.
6) Doors - Light My Fire. Expected. It was beyond huge, however worn out it is now.
7) Beatles - Hey Jude. Expected. Impressive on so many levels, but never near their best song.
8) Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love. Yes. It was so big, so overpowering, so dominant. Occasionally I still remember how exciting it was before it became a cliché.
9) Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower. Still freakin' amazing.
10) Beach Boys - God Only Knows. Sigh.

I guess something had to slip in to this otherwise rock solid list. Some of the list is revisionary for sure - how we've decided to remember The Sixties as opposed to how we experienced them. But you know, it's not easy to see through the Purple Haze of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment