Thursday 17 May 2012

The List of Indulgences


Sounds rather medieval church-like, don't it?

Rolling Stone has this list of The Best Prog Rock Bands Of All Time. And, you know, I'm a fan and all, and when the only alternative was disco I was a really big fan, but self-indulgence is a hallmark of prog rock.

Here's the list:
1. Rush
2. Pink Floyd
3. Genesis
4. Jethro Tull
5. King Crimson
6. Yes
7. Emerson, Lake and Palmer
8. Tool
9. Mars Volta
10. Dream Theater

See what I mean about self-indulgence? Lots of interesting music and great musicianship on this list, but also rather too much "because we can." ELP best representing that attitude - or is it worst?

By the way, I keep seeing definitions of prog rock that talk about a big jazz influence, but I just don't hear it. Sure there's a lot of improvisation in jazz, but that's true of blues and rock too. Folk, for that matter. I hear lots of classical and a bit of folk influence in most prog rock. Jazz, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment