Tuesday 15 May 2012

Blitzkrieg Pop


Funny how I do a piece on Power Pop (not liking it so much) and then Gibson goes and puts out a 10 Greatest-Ever Power Pop Bands list.

According to Gibson, Pete Townshend coined the term (I didn't know that; thanks, Gibson), and the definition is "infectious melodies, airtight arrangements, soaring vocal harmonies and unforgettable guitar riffs." Similar to Wikipedia's, so I'm outvoted here, 'cause I still think of Power Pop as soppy ballads with furry guitar.

At least that's what I remember the DJ's spinning those lame Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx tunes calling it.

Anyway, I'm happier with Gibson's definition, 'cause it yields a great list, which is:
1. Cheap Trick - yes!
2. The Who - OK, Pete coined the term, and the band kinda defies pigeon-holing, but I still dunno.
3. Big Star
4. Teenage Fanclub
5. The Raspberries
6. Slade
7. Fountains Of Wayne
8. The Posies
9. Badfinger - awesome! Very under-rated band
10. The Sweet - cool! OK, sweet!

Not sure if I would add anyone else. Maybe ELO? Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks's, not Peter Green's)? Anyway, it's all just only rock and roll - and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment