Saturday 15 December 2012

The Agony and the Ecstasy


A few months ago I was outside enjoying a sunset. I thought came into my head.  “Oh,” I said to myself.  “That’s a cool idea for a song.”

Immediately, and I mean right then, a melody popped into my head.  I went inside, went to the piano, and a complete song rolled off my fingers.  Wow!  Now all I needed were the lyrics.

That was three months ago.  I still have no lyrics, despite hours of effort.

You see, the words that came to me sound cool, but I don’t know what they mean.  I know they mean something, but I can’t figure out where to start.  I’ve pushed in a bunch of different directions – love, philosophy, history, religion, nature, all kinds of ideas from the sacred to the profane - but no go.

I feel like Michelangelo trying to free the figures slumbering in the stone.  I know those words are in there somewhere, but so far my hands haven’t broken the spell.  Sigh.

I’ll just keep fussing with it until the right words reveal themselves.  I have to.  It’s a catchy tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment