There are some strange cats at Rolling Stone Magazine. They publish a reader’s poll ranking the Best Led Zeppelin Songs of All Time, the intro of which acknowledges that Zep fans are easily fired up, implying they are maybe even a little crazy.
So then what do they do? They get some editor dudes together to come up with their own 40 Greatest Led Zeppelin Songs of All Time list. Who’s crazy here? The comments on Rolling Stone’s website prove their point. The fans are all riled up.
Who cares if the reader’s list has only 10 songs and the editor’s list has 40? It doesn’t matter that the editors included more songs. It’s not relevant that there is a nice write-up on each song stating why it’s cool and explaining why it’s important. The editor’s list is wrong. All it takes is one song improperly ranked and you’re an idiot. Just ask the fans who are, as predicted by the editors themselves, fired up. Read their comments.
I mean, either list works for me. Here they are:
Reader’s List Editor’s List
1. Stairway to Heaven Whole Lotta Love
2. Kashmir Stairway to Heaven
3. Achilles Last Stand Blackdog
4. Since I’ve Been Loving You Kashmir
5. When the Levee Breaks Ramble On
6. Whole Lotta Love Good Times Bad Times
7. The Rain Song Immigrant Song
8. Ramble On When the Levee Breaks
9. Ten Years Gone Rock and Roll
10. No Quarter Misty Mountain Hop
There are just so many fabulous songs, you’ll never get it right. So why kick the hornet’s nest?
I know lists are fun because they get you thinking – and arguing – and all that, but talk about living dangerously! These guys could get trampled under foot.