Monday 27 February 2012

Status: Single


Thank goodness for iTunes and other music download sites (not so much the ones where piracy prevails). Otherwise it would be hard to get a single.

Back in the dark ages, when vinyl was king, singles ruled. If you liked a song, you bought the single. You only bought an album if you were really a big fan or if you had confidence that most of the songs on the album would be just as good as the single.

I got burned more than a few times. Everyone did.

By the late 70's, when tape was king, singles had virtually disappeared. CD's put an end to the idea once and for all.

Don't know about you, but I started buying less. A whole CD for one song? No way. So if I liked a song, I waited for the next album/CD - and the next one and the next one and the next one after that. Assuming I remembered who was who and the band stayed together long enough to put out a greatest hits - and I still cared - eventually I would buy a CD knowing I was getting value for money.

That is, unless the record company ripped you off by inserting a live version of one of the songs to try and force you to by two CD’s.

Sheesh!

So thank goodness you can now buy singles. You can always by the whole CD when you know - you know - you really like everything by the artist, but it's nice to get away from that "yuck-why-did-I-buy-this?" feeling.

Here's to singles!

No comments:

Post a Comment